Friday 15 November 2013

Loni Jane, Pregnant Raw Vegan


Loni has always been a health inspiration to me.Ive been following her since i read THE health bible 80/10/10 by Dr Douglas Graham.I ate this way whilst pregnant with my twins (and still do going on 2 years now) although a little more fat as Loni is also doing.Its not a cult, i enjoy superfoods which is not condoned on the lifestyle so i loosely base my diet on it.My pregnancy was great for a multiple pregnancy.I saw a private doctor weekly as id miscarried twins 8 weeks before and being twins you are high risk anyway.My bloodwork was always excellent.Never need for iron supplementation or any protein in the uine.I gained 2.5 stone with both and they were born weighing 5lb and 5lb2 at 35weeks.I also had an amazing natural twin birth.Pushed both out in less than 40 minutes.So nice to see a mother nourishing herself not malnourishing herself.The book explains clearly how much protein is needed (excess is awful) and how much is in what mother nature provides.Heres her article-

Loni Jane defends following 80:10:10 diet while pregnant

Eating lots of fruit and vegetables is the key to the '80-10-10' diet, in what many are claiming as the best path to a healthy lifestyle.

SHE'S been called narcissistic, irresponsible and even ugly since sharing her extreme fruit-based diet. But Loni Jane says haters just want to be healthy like her.

The 25-year-old mum-to-be has weathered an avalanche of criticism since sharing the story of her health transformation on news.com.au this week.

The Gold Coast girl adopted US doctorDoug Graham's 80/10/10 Diet - a low-fat diet and lifestyle program based exclusively around whole, fresh, uncooked fruits and vegetables - after her health hit rock bottom.

The designer/photographer/Instagram star revealed she eats about 10 bananas a day. And that's just for breakfast.

Loni Jane this week

The news.com.au article attracted hundreds of, mostly negative, commentswhile media outlets around the world bizarrely tried to shame the expectant first-time mum for pursuing optimal health.

Critics from keyboard warriors to bloggersand nutritionists claimed the designer/photographer was harming her unborn baby by starving her body and her baby's of necessary nutrients.

Those feigning concern for Loni Jane suggested she take supplements, eat more protein and cut carbs.

They accused Loni Jane - who has now amassed an impressive 116,000 Instagram followers - of harming her unborn child through her 'dangerous diet'.

But Loni Jane - who credits her mostly raw, vegan, low-fat, plant-based diet with changing her life - is amused by the backlash.

Gold Coast girl Loni Jane loosely follows the 80:10:10 diet. Picture: Supplied.

Gold Coast girl Loni Jane loosely follows the 80:10:10 diet. Picture: Supplied.

"The negative feedback doesn't get to me because the people who are slamming me for it haven't tried it themselves and don't have any education about it. They don't understand and they're not even trying to. They're just having their opinions and their judgment way to quickly and they're too stuck in their comfort zones," she said.

"They're probably deep down interested but they don't have the will-power to give up their ice-cream or greasy McDonalds. They'd rather just shun it and not feel bad about doing what they're doing.

"It seems so ridiculous because we're always told to eat more fruits and vegetables to be healthy, so it doesn't make any sense. I can't see how people can think that I'm depriving myself or my child. They're clearly not seeing the amount of food I'm eating."

And she has a high-profile ally.

Loni Jane four months ago.

Australian Medical Association federal president Steve Hambleton says Loni Jane appears to be 'ticking all the boxes'.

"The key toxins for unborn children are tobacco and alcohol so for avoiding both of those she should be congratulated," he said.

"The next thing is it's OK to be a vegetarian. You can get sufficient nutrition as a vegetarian.

"It sounds like broadly the diet she's consuming is not inappropriate, in a sense that you can eat a variety of things in a variety of ways. The principals of a good diet are to get a broad access to nutrients and our bodies are pretty good at synthesising stuff."

Dr Hambleton, the nation's top doctor, says Loni Jane seems properly nourished.

"In terms of pregnancy, the way we're constructed, the mother's body will give the baby what it needs unless you're especially malnourished in a certain area," he said.

"So long as you're getting a broad variety of nutrients, and fruit and vegetables are very good for that. We do have to take special precautions about iron, particularly if you're vegan, but it's not impossible (to get enough iron).

"And getting good medical advice and appropriate attention ticks all the boxes. She's working with a medical practitioner to make sure she's properly nourished."

Loni and her partner Pete Rabjones two months ago. Picture: Instagram.

Loni and her partner Pete Rabjones two months ago. Picture: Instagram.

Now 27 weeks pregnant, Loni Jane says her doctor is happy with her health.

"I didn't tell him about my diet when I first went to him. I just let him do all of my blood work and checks, and he said I was absolutely thriving with health. Then I told him how I eat … he was a little bit surprised but said 'whatever you're doing, you're doing it right'. I already knew that but to have someone from a medical background say I was doing the right thing is reassuring," he said.

"He checks my blood work every couple of months. He says I've gained a healthy amount of weight with pregnancy, that my baby's weight is perfect, that my blood pressure in spot-on, that I'm not deficient in anything, that my iron level is high and that my b12 is high."

25-year-old mum-to-be Loni Jane. Picture: Supplied.

25-year-old mum-to-be Loni Jane. Picture: Supplied.

The former party girl says she listens to her body and adjusts The 80:10:10 dietaccordingly.

"The thing I've probably changed the most since being pregnant is that I'm definitely eating more cooked foods," she said.

"I started taking black strap molasses about two months ago. I take that twice a day morning and night with some oranges because vitamin C helps you absorb iron. I have an amazing green powder that I have every single day which has everything in it.

"So if I'm feeling good on this low-fat high-carb diet while I'm pregnant, then that's exactly what I'm going to do."

Loni Jane said her and her baby are thriving on all organic foods.

"My diet is balanced with an array of nutrients. I eat other things like all fruits and vegetables, good fats and protein like coconut yoghurt, hemp seeds, avocados, chia seeds, miso soup, sea vegetables and sauerkraut," she said.

"I feel like if I were to sit here and post a picture up of me eating a tub of ice-cream and a large McDonalds meal, on the coach with swollen feet and a headache, people wouldn't blink an eyelid but I eat some bananas, smoothies, super foods, and abundant fruits and veggies, and I'm labelled as irresponsible and extreme. Society can be really weird."

Loni Jane before and after adopting The 80:10:10 Diet. Picture: Supplied.

Loni Jane before and after adopting The 80:10:10 Diet. Picture: Supplied.

Loni Jane says she knows her unborn baby's happy.

"I'm not saying I'm the healthiest person in the world or a fitness guru because I'm definitely not but I want to live a lifestyle that's absolutely sustainable every day for me and the rest of my life. I want to thrive every single day.

"I want to wake up every day with energy and bring my child into this world with a mother who has the energy to support them 100 per cent and lead by example. That's what I'm doing and I've never felt better.

"If I was affected by the negativity that's going around it would mean I'm unsure about whether I'm not doing the right thing but I know I am and I'm so happy with myself. I've got so much love for my unborn child and I'm so connected with myself that I know my little one in there is happy."

Meal time. Like a boss!

Loni Jane, who has been inundated with media requests since her story was published, says she just wants to inspire others.

"I still feel like there's more positive than negative out of this. Even if I've impacted 100 people I'd be happy. If people who read the story then, when they went into the shops, bought a smoothie instead of a bacon and egg muffin, that instant change is what it's all about and just becoming aware of what you're putting in your mouth, where things come from and what it's doing to your body," she said.

"This is just what I do every single day. It's an easy lifestyle. I don't have to think about. I don't wake up in the morning and think 'what do I need to avoid' or 'oh my god, I've got this craving for chocolate' or 'I need to eat a tub of ice cream'. I've been there before with cravings and I know what it's like to think about food 24/7 and what it's like to sit on the couch with a tub of ice cream and veg out and then feel guilty about it. I've done that and I don't want to live a life full of cravings, crappy food and supporting an industry that manipulates people.

"That's all I'm here for - to help people become aware - and I think that's happened in a really short period of time. You're always going to get negative people but if I'm inspiring people to eat more fruits and vegetables, or at least try it, that's a huge impact."

Continue the conversation via Twitter@itsKShort | @newscomauHQ |@amapresident

Gold Coast girl Loni Jane Anthony follows the 80:10:10 diet. Picture: Supplied.

No comments:

Post a Comment